Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tripel - Day 2


Woke up today to a very active carboy ... very cool! There was about a 1/4 inch of kraeusen on top, and the brew was (and still is!) just swirling around. Wonderful smell from the fermentation lock.

When I finished up yesterday, I was very concerned that the beer looked really, really dark for a tripel-style beer. Much lighter today. Kraeusen is almost an inch thick on top.

Also, I broke down and cracked a bottle of the ale after just 4 days in the bottle. I know, I know ... but it's Father's Day and I just couldn't wait. Grilled up some beef short ribs with some fresh steamed green beans and poured the beer into a wide-mouthed glass (from Westmalle). Not all that carbonated yet, but I was able to get a nice head on it with a tall pour.

Nice color: Deep amber with an orange tint. Clear and bright. Smooth tasting with a bit of a bitter aftertaste that I hope will mellow, but definitely drinkable. Because I didn't take an initial hydrometer reading, I can't really measure the ABV, but this has a kick to it.

Overall, I'm thrilled with my first batch of ale. I'll have a better read later this week after it's been in the bottle for at least 8 days, but as for Father's Day, I couldn't be happier!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment